The Cathedral of Saint Joseph, the mother church for the Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston, strives to be a model and beacon of worship, fellowship, and service, with the celebration of the Sacred Mysteries central to its identity.
In the words of Pope Benedict XVI, “music has the power to lead us back … to the Creator of all harmony, creating a resonance within us which is like being in tune with the beauty and truth of God, with the reality which no human knowledge or philosophy can ever express.”
Knowing the exalted mission sacred music has to the service of God and understanding the profound importance that music has upon the liturgy and all God’s people is what guides the efforts of the musicians of the Cathedral of Saint Joseph.
Saint Augustine is said to have taught that “he who sings well prays twice.” The Music Ministry at the Cathedral of Saint Joseph is formed of dedicated volunteer and professional musicians, seeking to foster and support sung prayer. The Cathedral Choir, under the direction of Mr. Matthew S. Berher, customarily sings at the 10:30 a.m. Mass each Sunday and various liturgical celebrations throughout the course of the year. For occasions of even greater importance in the Liturgical Year, brass ensembles, strings, and wind instruments are employed for even greater festivity and solemnity.
Music at the Cathedral is not limited to weekend worship. With the help of Mr. Tyler J. Greenwood, Associate Organist, midday liturgies at the Cathedral are regularly accompanied with the organ and the congregation is invited to join in sacred song.
The Cathedral is proud to house two pipe organs; instruments which not only add dignity and majesty to worship, but have the ability to lead a large assembly in prayer and praise. The Great Organ located in the West Gallery is a Casavant Organ built in 1953. The Kilgen organ (1935) is situated above the choir in the North Triforium. Both of these organs have recently undergone extensive renovations, refurbishments, and additions through the work of Schantz Organ Company. In addition, the organs are supplemented by a concert grand piano, built by Steinway & Sons in 1906. All of these fine instruments not only enhance congregational singing, but lift our spirits to encounter God in a beautiful way.
For more information regarding the music ministry at the Cathedral of Saint Joseph or to join the choir, please contact Mr. Matthew Berher by e-mail at email@example.com or by calling the music office at (304) 230-1565.